Friday, September 19, 2014

EP Review: "Foreign Land" A Lion Named Roar

   Greetings internet dwellers! I have a quick review for you guys today. It's a review of "Foreign Land" by A Lion Named Roar. The bio on their website reads: "A Lion Named Roar are men. Men that make pop music drenched in blue collar sweat and moral fiber. Although you’ll hear hushed sanctions of influence like The Killers and The Jayhawks, there are no apologies involved, because men don’t apologize." I hope that's a joke, cause that's a horrible way to get people to listen to you. "We men. Big. Strong. Eat meat. Make sounds. Call music."

   On to the music. "Foreign Land" is a six song EP of southern-blues sounding pop. The album cover is a dirt road winding its way towards the desolate desert and it's fitting, as the music contained here is great for road trips with sing along choruses while giving of a feeling of searching for something more. Chris, the vocalist, brings an earnestness to the sound. The songwriting here is really superb, and, for example, the fourth song, "Noon," tells us about a confrontation between two cowboy esque gunmen having a standoff in the desert. https://soundcloud.com/wearealionnamedroar/noon The creepy whistling in the beginning sets the tone well. "It starts again / I'm staring out across the sand / Steady with a gun in hand / It's almost noon / Gaining ground / Dust is burned upon his brow / Been riding since the sun went down / To see this through." The lyrics at the end (spoilers) impressed me as well "When the clock struck noon / There was powder smoke and / Burning lead / I was played for a fool / The grave was dug for me instead / Instead of you." This was my favorite song on the album, and it alone was enough for me to buy the rest of the EP.

   The next song is "Remember Me." The main character in this one talks of how he changed who he was to be able to get someone to love him. He wonders if: "When days are gone / And you're not around anymore / Will I remember me? / Will I remember me?" He knows the relationship isn't going to last, as he says: "I gave you my best / I put on a show / But the mask that I made is taking control / The person I was / Is not who you love / Though I tried and I tried it was never enough" Also, "Oh baby can it really be love / When I've been pretending to be what you want? / Who would ever want a lover to hold them / When they could never accept who they are?" Another great show of songwriting.

   All the songs, with maybe the exception of "Ghost in New York City", have solid writing and instrumentation. What stood out next to the songwriting and earnest vocal harmonies was the drumming. It seemed like the drumming was the driving part of many of the songs, which also impressed me. Overall, I give it a 4.5/5. It's a catchy, well written pop EP. I look forward to hearing a full length from these "Men that make pop music drenched in blue collar sweat and moral fiber."


Favorite tracks: Noon, Remember Me, This Won't Last For Long, Desert Wind.
Least favorite track: Ghost in New York City.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment